Here's what I made:
I used masking tape to create the band where I wanted the colour to go, then I dabbed Distress Stains (Mermaid Lagoon, Wilted Violet, Festive Berries and Worn Lipstick) randomly over the exposed area [I really love that combination of colours]. The colour was a bit intense so I used a tissue to take off the excess. After drying with a heat tool, I stamped the sparkles and the sentiment with embossing ink and then covered with gold embossing powder.
That was where I planned to leave it but some of the masking tape damaged the card as I was taking it off and this flower happened to be lying around and it matched the colour scheme pretty well, so it became part of the design.